Milanese de Pollo

Monday, October 18, 2010


You're in for a treat today if you like old-school Italian cooking! Now, the man's family is coming into town soon, and seeing as how they are Italian immigrants, they definitely know an impostor Italian meal when they taste it. Well, his mother has asked me to cook them something vegan, so I'm already shaking in my boots and getting my practice in. Now, last time they visited, they LOVED the vegan banana birthday cake (recipe here) that I made him, but now they want a meal! I was super nervous until Saturday night, when I re-created one of my favorite recipes of his mothers, only vegan! The best part...neither the man nor I could taste a single difference! Success? I think so!

Milanese de Pollo (Milanesa de Pollo in South America)

Gardein "Chick'n" Scalloppini
1 teaspoon Orgran No Egg (egg replacer)
2 tablespoons water
Olive Oil
Bread Crumbs (Store-bought, or this super easy and delicious recipe below):
2 pieces of whole grain bread, toasted until crisp, but not burnt
Basil
Oregano
Marjoram
Dill Weed
Garlic Powder
Rosemary
Chives
Onion Powder
Parsley

Combine two pieces of toast and spices (enough to suit your individual taste) in a blender until crumbs. It's as simple as that, folks!

In a small dish, mix together your "No Egg" powder with the water. In another dish, put your bread crumbs. Pour some olive oil into a skillet, enough to cover the base of the skillet and heat.

When oil is hot enough to sizzle, but not burning, coat your gardein pieces in the egg mixture, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Place in the oil, and pan fry, about 4-5 minutes each side, until golden in color and heated through.


Serve over your favorite whole grain or rice pasta and your favorite sauce. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I feel like there is a picture for a step about a tomato sauce but the instructions for how to make it or what to use aren't there. I have been known to be rather blind, but am I missing where this step comes in? It looks super yummy so I would love to try it, just want to make sure I am doing everything. Thanks!!

Danielle said...

Nope, no recipe. I just said to use your favorite sauce. Mine is just pureed stewed tomatoes and onion with some garlic, diced bell peppers and a various assortment of herbs...not really a recipe, just thrown together. You can use a pre-made sauce just as easily, too!

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino