Vegan Jambalaya on World Vegetarian Day

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Yesterday was World Vegetarian Day, and let me just say that I stimulated the crap out of the vegetarian economy, that's for sure!! I got not one but TWO new pairs of super cute vegan shoes from ShoeDazzle, got some vegan cupcakes for the office at Bloom Bake Shop, which were a hit, as always, and then when I got home from work, I wanted to go to my favorite vegan restaurant, the Green Owl Cafe. Now, I've eaten at a lot of really good vegan restaurants. Julian and I would go to them all the time in Los Angeles, but none of them can hold a candle to Green Owl, in my opinion! Their servers are always the absolute sweetest, their foods are unique and filling, and don't even get me started on their amazing desserts!!!

So we headed to Green Owl last night, and I was determined to try something different, while Julian was already content with the fact that he would be getting the exact same thing he always does, but he was really looking forward to their apple crisp, which is one of his favorites.

We get there and are seated in the back area, which is our favorite and took a look at the menu. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. A table was sat right next to us, and greeted right away. And we waited some more while all the waitstaff looked right at us and walked by. After 10 minutes, the people seated after us already had their drinks and salads, and we hadn't even been aknowledged. And I was hungry! I finally went up to the front and asked for some service, which, after a few more minutes, we finally got. Then, the special that I wanted was sold out, which made me sad, but I tried the vegan jambalaya instead, and I'm very glad I did! Every course took a very long time to receive (20 minutes for a dip platter, 40 for soup and salad, and an hour for our main course), but as always, neither of us had a single bad thing to say about the food! My jambalaya was absolutely delicious! It was so flavorful and filling, and it came with the most delicious roasted red pepper cornbread. And my Mediterranean Bean and Orzo soup was awesome as well...no suprise there. By the time dessert rolled around, we'd already been there two and a half hours now, and had missed the movie we planned on seeing, so we skipped dessert for the first time in our Green Owl history, and just went home...we figured if we stayed it may end up being another hour...hahaha!

But, although this was by far our worst service experience here, the food will no doubt keep us coming back for more...and more...and more!!


So how did you spend your World Vegetarian Day?



Honestly, how can you be upset when the food looks this good?!?!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Vegan Rocker Girl: Thanks for your praise about our food. We are so happy that you liked it. We sincerely apologize, though, about the wait you endured. It was pretty busy that night but that's no excuse. I talked with the waitstaff today about making improvements on this and I hope, as a result, you will see a smoother operation next time you visit. Again, I'm so sorry you didn't get dessert. Please let us buy you dessert next time you come in to try to make up for what happened. Can you send me your address and I'll mail you out a gift card? Email: jcapellaro@yahoo.com. Again, thanks for all the nice things you say about the food we put out. It makes us happy!

AKM said...

I didn't really celebrate World Vegetarian Day on Friday, but I definitely did on Saturday! I bought tons of yummy vegan goodies at Trader Joe's! (This is special for me, since I have to drive over 20 miles to get to a TJ's!)

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino