Cookies Will Never Be The Same Again...

Friday, October 8, 2010

I’m going to admit something that many people (Americans, anyway) see as odd, crazy, and just plain weird…I’m not a fan of deep-fried food. Crazy, I know! It’s one thing to lightly pan fry or bread something, but to me, the deep frying has just never been something I’ve enjoyed to the extent that most people do…with the exception of fried pickles, but I digress. Anyway, the man and me saw a show on all things deep-fried on the Travel Channel, and I must admit that we got sucked into watching. Seriously, everything from pizza slices to sticks of butter to hot dogs…nothing was off limits on this show! Well, we saw places deep frying desserts, and one restaurant deep-fried Oreo cookies. My mother loves them, but I just think that it sounds nasty. Anyway, when it was removed from the fryer, it looked kind of like a cookie…and I may not like deep-fried stuff, but I do love my cookies! When they cut into the deep-fried Oreo, it truly resembled an Oreo stuffed inside a nice, yummy cookie…which is where this idea stemmed from.


There are many foods that are “accidentally” vegan, meaning that they just so happen to not have any animal products in them, but please remember that this does not necessarily mean that they are healthy! I mean yes, Oreos and Fritos are vegan, but that doesn’t mean you should eat them three times a day ever day! But, knowing that Oreos were vegan gave me the push I needed to create, in my humble opinion, the most amazing cookie I have ever tasted. Ever. Period. Honestly, an Oreo stuffed inside a chocolate-chip cookie is pure Heaven in your mouth, especially since, when it bakes, the Oreo literally melts to a truffle-like ball of creamy, chocolate-y goodness inside the chocolate chip cookie. Honestly, cookies will never be the same after you try this one!!!

Oreo-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
5 tablespoons Earth Balance (or dairy-free margarine)
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 Ener-g egg replacer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
oreo-style cookies
2 tablespoons vegan chocolate or carob chips

preheat oven to 350°F. line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Beat margarine and sugars together until creamy. add “egg”, vanilla, beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

Add flour mix to margarine mix, combine well.
Add chocolate chips and mix well.

Form dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons of dough each. Roll balls flat and place an Oreo in the center. Fold the dough around the Oreo, and seal off, so the Oreo is completely covered in cookie dough.

Place on baking sheet. bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are brown.
let cool on sheet for a few minutes before attempting to remove. place on cooling rack.

Next time I do this, I'm going to use a banana slice instead of the Oreo in the center of the cookie to see what happens!!


6 comments:

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Is the cream of tartar necessary? What would be a good substitution for that?

I really want to try this because I can't imagine a creamy, melty Oreo!

Danielle said...

I only used a tiny amount, and I can't imagine it not working without it. It's an ingredient I've always used in making choc. chip cookies, but I'm nearly positive it can be omitted without substitution.

Candace said...

holy canolli! I am SO on this recipe! YUMMMMMMS!
thanks for the recipe!

Jim said...

This sounds fantastic!

Me said...

holy mother of all things vegan!!!!!!!!!! that sounds incredible. i will be trying this recipe PLUS your banana version :)

Anonymous said...

sounds AMAZING.. in regards to the cream of tartar, all baking powder is is baking soda and cream of tartar combined... baking soda is used when an acid is present in baking (this includes brown sugar, molasses being acidic, weird.huh?) but when an acid is not present in the mix, baking powder is used (cream of tartar is acidic)... i'm pretty sure it would be ok without the additional cream of tartar, at least worth a shot... thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino