Kick-Ass Banana Birthday Cake!!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010


Look how happy this vegan cake made him!!!
So Friday marked the 26 anniversary of the birth of the most amazing man in my life! And the way I see it, there’s no better way to celebrate something like that than eating delicious foods! Now, I know some of you were followers of my old baking blog, and I know I haven’t really updated as many of my treats as I wanted to by now (the whole “losing weight” thing makes it hard to have baked goods in the house too often!) but I took one of Julian’s favorite cake recipes of mine, and worked my magic in turning it vegan. To my surprise (to his, also!), the cake turned out BETTER than my non-vegan original recipe! Not only was this probably the easiest cake I’ve ever made, but it was so delicious. I didn’t tell his parents that it was vegan until the end, and they honestly couldn’t believe it one bit. It was so moist and literally melted in your mouth. It was also my first time experimenting with Tofutti vegan cream cheese (I’ve used their sour cream product before) and I must say, it made an excellent base for the cream cheese frosting! So, if you have a birthday to plan, or if you just feel like baking something sweet, delicious, and cruelty-free, I give you:

Go Bananas! Vegan Banana Birthday Cake

•2 cups flour (I use whole grain, but use whatever you care to)
•1 1/2 tsp baking soda
•1/2 tsp salt
•1 cup sugar of your choice (I use Sugar in the Raw)
•1/4 cup oil
•4 ripe bananas, mashed
•1/4 cup water
•1 tsp vanilla
2 tblsp cinnamon

Preparation:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch round baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and sugar.
Put water, bananas, vanilla, and oil into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour in bowl with dry ingredients and stir until mixed well.
Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

And for my new take on Amazing Cream Cheese Frosting:
•1/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, softened
•1/4 cup Tofutti Vegan Cream Cheese, softened
•2 cups vegan confectioner’s sugar, sifted
•1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Makes enough to frost one cake.

Yummmmmmmm.....


I promise you, this is so simple you’ll be amazed! And, you’ll want to make this every day…it’s just that good! And honestly, look at those ingredients…it’s not even *that* bad for you!! Make it without the frosting, and it’s still super delicious and even more on the healthy side. I really hope/know you’ll all enjoy this so much!


I dare you to only have once slice!

11 comments:

Me said...

that looks so good! banana muffins are usually my fall back sweet, but this one might take over :) thanks!

Savannah said...

Mmm, your cake looks delicious! I think I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally making that tonight!!! That sounds and looks amazing. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Danielle said...

I definitely made this recipe again last night...but in cupcake form! And astonishingly enough, they are a huge hit at my meat and dairy-loving office!! Thanks for stopping by!

Jazz Siebert said...

Im making this for my honey tonite. Its his birthday tomorrow! yippeee...

I'll let u know how it goes. ;)

Jazz Siebert said...

Ok...so... I made it and let me just tell u... it was freakin amazing!!

Im gonna post about it soon.

stay tuned. :)

Danielle said...

Jazz, I'm so happy to hear you liked it!!! Yay!

Anonymous said...

ok the recipes ask for 2 tblsp cinnimon but where do you put it. The intructions doesn't say.

Danielle said...

Oops! The cinnamon goes in with the rest of the dry ingredients, but the cake can be made just as easily without it. Let me know how you like it!

Bea said...

I made the cupcakes for Halloween but i couldn't decide between chocolate frosting or your peanut butter frosting, they both go good with banana. I went through one of my vegan cookbooks and found a chocolate peanut butter frosting. It was perfect!!

Danielle said...

Glad you enjoyed it! That frosting does sound delicious!

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino