Beans and Toast the Queen Herself Would Adore

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The other evening, I rinsed and soaked some navy beans even though I had no idea what I wanted to do with them. Did I want soup? Baked beans? Bean salad? No. Freaking. Idea. Well, regardless, I put them in a pot to soak overnight. Yesterday morning, before I went to work, I still didn’t know what I wanted to do with them. So, I put them in the crock pot, added some stuff that I thought would taste good, and decided that, when I got home from work, I’d figure it out. Turns out, they were absolutely delicious, and I had the strange desire to put them over a nice, thick piece of toast. Delish! I seriously thought I was a genius. It looked super gross, and probably looked like something that even a bum would turn their nose up at, but man oh man was it ever delicious.

Then, my ego got checked for real. I typed in “beans and toast” on Google to see if anyone else had ever thought of this…and I’m sure you can imagine my surprise and humiliation when I discovered that it is basically like, the national food of Great Britain!! Foiled again!! Well, although it wasn’t as creative as I thought it was, considering it’s been eaten by the Brit’s for hundreds of years, it was still awesome, and I think I came up with a pretty spectacular bean recipe, so I’m going to at least share that with you all.

Spicy, Savory Navy Beans and Toast

1 cup of Navy beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
4 cups of water
4 tsp. vegetable bullion
4 tsp. Onion Seasoning (I use Mrs. Dash salt-free onion seasoning)
3 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on Low for 7-9 hours or High for 4-5 hours, stirring every couple of hours.
Smother two pieces of whole-grain toast with Earth Balance Buttery Spread and cover with navy beans.

Simple, yet delicious, I promise!!! And if you’re on a budget, a meal doesn’t get much cheaper than this!!


(I got even more than what is in this stock photo I found online!! Amazeballs!!)


By the way, I want to give a huge shout-out to Earth Balance!! I think everyone should become a fan of theirs on Facebook, because they are quite generous! I recently won a contest on their Facebook page for a gift basket. Little did I know that this basket would basically be all the vegan butter tubs, sticks, almond and peanut butter I could need for a year!! Major props there, Earth Balance!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino