South of the Border Soyrizo Scramble!

Friday, May 21, 2010

I personally am not a huge fan of breakfast (although I do tend to crave pancakes and waffles in the middle of the night) although some Saturday mornings, I do enjoy indulging in a nice, big breakfast. Eggs were never something I really enjoyed, but would eat them if they were prepared for me. I kept hearing about how great and “egg”-like tofu scrambles were, so I always tried to avoid it. However, I wanted to make the man of the house a nice, hearty breakfast the other morning, and wanted to show him that a nice vegan breakfast can be just as hearty as an egg and sausage breakfast. So, I attempted my first tofu scramble by combining what I thought might taste good, and not only did he devour it, but I became a scramble convert as well, as this was super tasty!!

I apologize for the poor photo quality, but my camera was out of batteries, so I used the crappy one on my phone to capture this tasty breakfast before it disappeared! If you’re looking for a great family breakfast for Saturday morning, here you are!


South of the Border Soyrizo Scramble
1-14 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, water drained
1 package of Trader Joe’s Soyrizo
1 1/2 cups of roasted corn (I get this from Trader Joes)
1 1/2 cups bell pepper strips (I use a tri-color mix, but any color is fine)
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
Crushed Red Pepper (to taste)
Chili Limon Powder (to taste)

Coat a large skillet with just enough cooking oil of choice to cover the bottom. On Medium-high heat, crumble the tofu into the skillet. Add nutritional yeast. Let cook for a couple minutes, and then add your soyrizo, veggies, and spices. Keep over medium-high heat until cooked through and tofu is browning.

The morning I made this, I paired it with some fresh fruit (grapes) and some whole grain toast with Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, which is my favorite vegan butter alternative by a landslide, and it's readily available at most supermarkets I've been to. It was incredible! It makes enough for I’d say 3-4 people, so since there are only two of us, I had the leftovers the next morning wrapped in a whole grain tortilla…a la breakfast burrito. Both ways were delicious, and it was so quick and easy, you could easily prepare this breakfast even on days where you don’t have oodles of time. Enjoy it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino