"Beefy" Gorditas!

Friday, May 14, 2010

First off, I want to thank people who took the time to read my last post, as it really is something that is truly important to me. I don’t want people to be offended or think that I’m one of those “crazy vegans” with a political agenda who walks around with a bucket of red paint. No, that isn’t me. I don’t get up and preach on platforms, and I’m not here to change anyone. But, I do like to educate, and I like to constantly BE educated. I think if we all sought out to learn one new thing a day, this would be a completely different world. But, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to read, and I hope maybe you learned something that is relevant.

Secondly, I am back with another delicious recipe that veg-heads and carnivores alike will love! Honestly, my fiancé asked me if I was SURE I didn’t use real meat, that’s how good this meal is at tricking the taste buds! It’s really simple, and all I did was take a look in the fridge, analyzed which foods needed to be used and took it from there! So without further adieu, I give you:

Spicy “Beef” and Tomato Gorditas with Steamed Squash and Quinoa
1 tomato, chopped
1 package Lighlife Smart Grounds (or ground beef replacement of your choosing)
Onion Powder
Vegan Hamburger seasoning (check the label to make sure there are no animal products. I use one by McCormick)
Buffalo Wing Sauce
Whole Grain Flatbreads
Squash of your choosing, sliced into rounds
1 cup quinoa
Thoroughly rinse your quinoa. Follow cooking directions according to the package, or use a rice cooker, like I did. Add 2 cups of water to the quinoa, and let the rice cooker do the rest!
(a small strainer is perfect for giving your quinoa a quick rinse)

While quinoa is cooking, put your “beef” in a large skillet with onion powder, hamburger seasoning and wing sauce (no specific amounts, just to your liking. I use a lot more hot sauce than the average person, so add according to taste). Cook until “beef” becomes slightly brown, and add in the tomatoes. Turn heat to low, and let the flavors simmer together.


Throw your squash into the steamer, and let steam for about ten minutes. Don’t do this until there is only about ten minutes of cooking time left for the quinoa, so it is fresh when it’s time to eat. (I highly recommend a rice cooker/vegetable steamer combo…they are truly awesome for the lazy cook…haha!)
(this rice cooker/vegetable steamer was $13.00 at Target, and is a new cook's best friend in the kitchen!)

Warm your flatbreads on a skillet over low heat, flipping until both sides are soft and golden. When my “beef” had about two minutes left to simmer with the tomatoes, I added this amazing chili vinaigrette that I got at the farmer’s market to it to give it even more spice, but you can add any type of additional hot sauce.
Scoop your “beef” and tomato mixture into your flatbread. Garnish with vegan cheese our sour cream if you’d like, but I prefer it without. Fold over like a gordita. Enjoy with your quinoa and squash!

This meal is super light for summer, yet packs a punch for anyone who is still having problems “converting” to non-meat dishes. It's also a super simple meal for those of you who say you are new to this and don't think you can cook! Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! I hope you enjoy it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino