Spicy Vegan Potstickers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010


So I know that I said yesterday that I would be putting up a recipe for the most amazing Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie you’ll ever have, but meh, I changed my mind. It’s my blog; I’m allowed to do that, right?! Regardless, I made a freaking amazing dinner last night that I really felt like sharing with you! This was kind of my first foray into Asian cooking, so I was pretty proud of the outcome! These pot stickers were not only delicious, but they were super easy to make, very little prep time, and are enjoyed by anybody! And the best part is you can get totally creative with them! Stuff them with seasoned seitan, or shredded cabbage and carrots, or whatever you’re in the mood for! I love discovering how much fun this whole cooking thing can actually be! I know that those of you who liked my last blog remember me as the anti-cook, but I have a new found passion for the stove! I’m not just a baker anymore!! So, without further adieu, here are your spinach and chile-stuffed pot stickers:
Large Skillet
Asian Wok
Japanese Gyoza wrappers (I found these at my local grocery store, but some people may need to venture out to an Asian market. Also, there were a few different kinds, read the ingredients and make sure they are egg-free!!)
Fresh spinach, finely chopped
Crushed red peppers
Small onion, finely chopped
Cooking oil of your choice
Water
Shoyu or Soy Sauce
A Crisp White Wine (for the cook! I believe you cook better when you have a glass of wine in hand!)

In the wok, add a little of your cooking oil and stir fry the onion and pepper. When it’s nearly finished, add in the spinach and cook until it begins to wilt. Remove from heat.

I like to use my hands, so you may want to let this mixture cool down a bit before the next step (something I forgot to do!). Lay out your Gyoza wrappers on a flat surface. Place a generous amount of the filling in the center of the wrap. To me, it looked like about a Tablespoon of filling. Then, fold the wrap into a half-circle, pressing out all the air before pinching the edges together.

Add a little oil to the skillet, enough to coat the bottom. Let this get warm before you add your pot stickers. Set them on the skillet with the seam facing upward, trying to flatten the bottom when you do. Once the bottoms of the pot stickers are golden brown, add about ½ cup of water and a few shakes of shoyu to the skillet and cover. Let them steam for about 10-15 minutes, and then they are ready to be enjoyed!!

These are a great main course, but can also be used as an appetizer as well. I served them with some steamed green beans and brown rice…delish!!

Also, I’m certain that there are probably plenty of recipes for the pot sticker wrappers and they are more than likely super simple, but it was my first attempt at an Asian dish, so I didn’t dive in 100%. Next time I make these (probably with different filling as I like to experiment), I will try to find a good recipe for the wrappers to share. Or, if you have a good one, please feel free to share it as well! You probably noticed as well that I don't have amounts on my ingredients. Well, I'm not gonna lie, it's because I didn't really pay attention. But I think that this, as with most dishes, you need to cater to your own liking, and your own appetite. This is just the skeleton of your own culinary creativity. So get in the kitchen, and experiment!!



(Photo not taken by me, posted with permission from Vega Cruz, who is also the one who told me how easy these were to make!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino