"Rock Me, Baby" Stuffed Squash

Monday, September 27, 2010

The other day I wanted to make some stuffed peppers for a quick and fun lunch, but being a dual-minded Gemini, by the time that I rinsed my beautiful peppers, I had completely changed my mind! I wanted to "stuff" something still, but I just didn't know what. So, I got a little creative, yanked some squash out of the fridge, and decided to "stuff" them as best as possible! Because the "Freaking Amazing Cheese Sauce" is now a junk-food-alternative staple in our house, and super simple to whip up, I splooged that into some hollowed out squash, popped it in the oven, and topped with some fresh diced tomatoes in the end...and now I'm pretty sure that this will be a staple from this day forward in our house!

Rock Me Baby Stuffed Squash

2 Summer Squash, halved and hollowed out with a spoon
1 Medium-sized tomato, diced
"Freaking Amazing Cheese Sauce" (recipe below)

Freaking Amazing Cheese Sauce¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
¼ cup flour
1 cup water
2 tblsp. Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (if you're not so much into wreaking havok on your taste buds as I am, this can be reduced/omitted completely)
1 can of RoTel Diced Tomatoes and green chiles, drained

Put nutritional yeast, flour, salt, garlic, and pepper in a saucepan. Add in water and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture becomes thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add vegan butter. Stir until melted. Add tomatoes/salsa and lime juice and return to heat, stirring until tomatoes are warm.

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray/oil a glass oven dish and lay the squash in, hollowed sides up. Fill squash with Freaking Amazing Cheese Sauce and enjoy the leftovers with some carrots and pita while this cooks in the oven for about 20 minutes, until squash is tender. Remove from oven, top with diced tomatoes, and enjoy!

Now THAT's what I call a tasty freaking lunch!


How perfect is this tomato?!


Squash Boats!


Still trying to figure out if these are organic? I know they are vegan, and they sell them at Whole Foods, so does that label them organic automatically?? They're tasty regardless!


Right before heading to the hot and toasty oven!



Quick photo before they were devoured in record time!


And don't forget, every ad that you click on this page will be a donation to a local Madison animal rescue! That's it! All you have to do is click them! Easy as that!

1 comments:

AKM said...

I have a similar cheez sauce already made and stored in my freezer! I have tomatoes and green chilis, too. (They're ALWAYS on hand!) All I need are squash and tomatoes...

Post a Comment

I love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by!

Chronicles of a Dairyland Vegan Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino